As those who know me will attest, I'm a bit boring when it comes to my favorites in music. When I like a group, I will usually buy as many of their albums as I can, whether I like the music on them or not. For example, I love Depeche Mode, and have bought almost all of their albums, but can honestly say I don't like many of the ones made after Black Celebration. I also love Enya, and own every one of her albums and love each and every one of them.
But the thing is, now that I'm older, I almost never buy new music. Whether from my favorites or not. And I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV, so I'm pretty much clueless about any new good music out there. So when I hear a random song, or someone tells me about a group that they really like, and I actually remember to check them out, I'm always a bit excited when I end up liking them as well.
Now when I was in high school, I somehow came into contact with 311. Normally I avoid rap and hip hop like the plague, but there was just something about some of the songs on 311's self titled album that I just really liked.
Well, last night I listened to this album again, after not hearing it for over 4 years, and I'm loving it all over again. My favorite tracks are Down, Random, All Mixed Up, Purpose, Don't Stay Home, and Sweet. And now I've spent most of the day listening to it.
My reason for bringing this all up is after telling my husband about today's "habit", he told me he also has their 2001 release, From Chaos, and to listen to it as well. Needless to say, I think I like even more than the one above.
My favorite songs on this album are You Wouldn't Believe, From Chaos, I Told Myself, Champagne, Amber, Uncalm, and I'll Be Here Awhile.
So, the lesson I've learned today is don't dismiss entire genres of music because I may just find my new favorite group where I least expected it.
02 March 2007
Isn't that Random
Written by skye at 2:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 people love me:
Post a Comment